What is a goal?
A goal is a ‘dream or want’ with a deadline. Goals are the stepping stones to achieving what we desire.
Catherine Pulsifer said: “For me, goals are my road map to the life I want. They have helped me accomplish things I once thought were impossible.”
Why set goals?
Goal setting is the core of existence that defines life (Joanne Bonomi). In life, we have to know our targets in order for us to know exactly what it is that we are shooting for. It’s difficult to hit what you can’t see, and it’s impossible to hit what you don’t know.
Harvard Business School did a study on the financial status of its students 10 years after graduation and found that:
- as many as 27% of them needed financial assistance;
- 60% of them were living paycheck to pay cheque;
- 10% of them were living comfortably;
- only 3% of them were financially independent.
The study also examined goal setting and found these interesting correlations.
- the 27% that needed financial assistance had absolutely no goal setting process in their lives;
- the 60% that were living pay cheque to paycheque had basic survival goals, for example, managing to live pay cheque to pay cheque;
- the 10% that were living comfortably had general goals. They thought they knew where they were going to be in the next 5 years;
- the 3% that were financially independent had written out their goals and the steps required to reach them.
Zig Ziglar – Goal Setting Part 1 of 3